I've had more than 1,000 articles published in newspapers and magazines. A 400 word article I wrote about a country hotel filled its rooms for three years.
I worked for the West Australian Newspaper for seven years as a freelance, Homes and Living Magazine for the same length of time and Australian Auto Action as a motorsport writer for ten years.
Articles can help prospective customers learn about your business.
Laser Electrical - Copywriter
I work with this client to prepare a monthly newsletter using MailChimp. I have written the company's Capability Statement, award submissions and website content, plus other material as required.
Corporate First Aid Australia Pty Ltd
Technical writer to produce training materials and assessment resources, researched and wrote a monthly newsletter and prepared tender responses.
South West Tree Safe
Researched and wrote responses to tender requests.
Training & Safety Consultants
I have worked with this client since 2001 and have prepared the following material:
- Wrote the application material for TASC to become a Registered Training Organisation including writing the submission and all additional documentation
- Wrote the WorkSafe application for accreditation to train the Five-Day Training Course for Occupational Health and Safety Representatives
- Wrote/rewrote the OHS training course manuals including exercises and Power Point presentation.
The success of these manuals led to:
- Writing/rewriting the manuals, exercises, etc. for the Five-Day Training Course for Occupational Health and Safety Representatives for the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry
- Writing/rewriting the manuals, exercises, etc. for the Five-Day Training Course for Occupational Health and Safety Representatives for the Seafarers Industry
- Writing short courses as and when required
- Updating all manuals when legislation is changed
- Writing tender responses as and when required
- Conducting a marketing campaign including writing the material and contacting prospective clients
- Redesigning and editing/rewriting the website.
Ongoing projects when required including preparing tender responses.
AQWEST-Bunbury Water Corporation - Public Relations Consultant
I held this position for six years. I met with the client monthly, and as required, to discuss the PR for various projects. I wrote articles, media releases, newsletters, reports, organise events, arranged radio interviews and other material for client's approval, placed articles, advertising, etc. in local press. Generally worked with the media to ensure a positive image. The 2013 Annual Report was a finalist in the WS Lonnie Awards.
Department of Agriculture and Food WA - Contracted Expert Editorial Consultant
Met with the client to discuss various projects. Recently met with client to discuss business cases being prepared for grant applications and my appointment to research and write supporting communications plans to meet set guidelines. Wrote three comprehensive communications plans for the Grains Section.
Department of Regional Development
Contracted to research and write six case studies for completed Royalties for Regions projects.
Department of Transport
Contracted to research and write a case study for a completed regional airport upgrade funded by Royalties for Regions.
South West Catchments Council
Contracted to research and write annual report and work with my graphic designer on the concept and design of the report, plus a double page newspaper feature. The report was also made into an interactive pdf for the client's website.
City of Bunbury/Goomburrup Aboriginal Corporation
Commissioned to work with video production company to film a year long project and then produce a DVD. This included project coordination, writing scripts and liaising on editing, plus obtaining approvals.
Department of Agriculture
Writing, Editorial and Media Consultant – Rolling five-year contract for the “Time to Lime” Project. The funding bodies and the Department considered this an outstandingly successful information extension project that reached and surpassed all media milestones. In more detail, the Media Consultancy consisted of:
- Rewriting technical information into a user-friendly style
- Interviewing scientists/researchers and writing feature articles for publications
- Editing technical/scientific farmnotes
- Editing and rewriting where necessary a series of six Project Update Books, one for each year of the project. This included creative concept for the covers, editing content and project management through to print
- Producing demonstration and survey books, including creative design, editing and print management
- Preparing information for the website
- Designing and writing a series of 16 editorial advertisements for the Countryman Newspaper, typesetting ready for print
- Designing a series of editorial advertisements for the Lime Industry and writing the copy
- Designing a full colour wrap for the Countryman Newspaper, including selling the advertising space, writing the advertising material and project management
- Researching and writing media releases
- Arranging radio interviews, and
- Advising Project Manager on various aspects of media coverage.
Please click on CV for a more comprehensive description of my experience.